How to find my router IP address (2020)
What is IP address? what is my router’s IP address? In this article, we will tell you how to find router’s IP address for any device in just simple steps.
What is an IP address?
An IP address is a address for your device which helps the internet to identify your device. It is similar to postal address. It is written in set of four numbers separated by periods(IPv4).
Router’s IP address is in the format of, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1. IP address plays a very major role. Without IP address, we couldn’t connect with anyone and they couldn’t share information with us.
IP address is of two types, private IP address and a public IP address. Let see the difference in both of them.
What is the difference between ‘Public IP’ and ‘Private IP’?
Private IP address is a unique IP address that is assigned by the router to every device connected to it. It is also known as local IP address which is not seen by the outside world because your router performs a function called Network Address Translation (NAT). NAT performs the function of conversion of Private IP address to Public IP address.
Public IP address is seen by the outside world such as websites, etc. This address is provided by the internet service provider(ISP). You can find Public IP address by using many online tools such as whatsmyrouterip. When you visit a website, then the public IP address is logged by the servers.
Why do we need find my router’s IP address?
- Without IP address, we cannot access the control panel of Router(You need to enter router’s IP address in browser to access the login page of control panel).
- We need IP address to change WiFi name and password.
- IP address helps in performing troubleshooting or ping test of router.
- Router’s IP address helps in setup of VPN protocols such as OpenVPN or PPTP.
How to find your router IP address on windows?
Let’s see how to find your router IP address on windows using Command Prompt(CMD). Command Prompt is an application in windows which is used to execute entered commands.
To use Command Prompt, we should enter the valid CMD commands. Command Prompt then executes these entered commands.
Steps to use Command Prompt on Windows to find router’s IP address:
1. Search CMD(Command Prompt) in search bar.
2. Now type ipconfig;
3. Now you will be able to see your router’s IP under Default Gateway.
Steps to find your router’s IP address on windows in “Network and Sharing center”:
1. Search Control Panel in search bar and click on it.
2. Select “View network status and tasks” in the “Network and Internet” Category.
3. Click on the name of your network connection.
4. Click the “Details” button in the “Ethernet Status” window.
5. In the “IPv4 Default Gateway” , you will find your router’s IP address.
How to find your router IP address on Android Device?
1. Click on the “Wi-Fi” category in the Settings.
2. Tap on the Connected Wi-Fi of your device to manage its settings.
3. Click on the “Advanced dropdown” button.
4.You will be able to see your router’s IP address.
How to find your router IP Address on iPhone and iPad?
1. Click on the Wi-Fi in the settings of your device.
2. Tap on the connected Wi-Fi.
3. Then you will be able to see your router’s IP address.
How to find your router IP Address on Mac OS X?
1. Click on the Apple icon at the top of your screen and select “System Preferences”.
2. Now click on the “Network” icon.
3. Select the connected Wi-Fi network and click Advanced.
4. Select the TCP/IP tab in the “Network” window.
5. Now you will be able to see your router’s IP address.
How to find your router IP Address on Chrome OS?
- Click on the notification area.
- Then select the connected Wi-Fi.
- Click on the “Network” tab and you will be able to see your router’s IP address under Gateway.
How to find your router IP Address on Linux?
- In the Notification area, click on the “Network” icon and select “Network Settings”.
- You will find your router’s IP address next to Gateway or Default Router.
How do I log into my router?
- Open a Browser in your device that is connected to your router’s network.
- Enter the router’s IP address in the search bar of browser.
- Enter your username and password in the login page of router.
- Click on log-in button.
Whatever your device is, you just have to follow these steps and you will be able to find your router’s IP address. If you like this article, then share this article with your friends, relatives and family members. If you have any query about this topic, then fill our contact us form or tell us in the comment section.